The Lucerne Inn began as a family home built in the early 1800s. It was known then as the Lake House. For nearly 200 years, The Lucerne Inn has been marveled at by travelers.
The historical and beautiful qualities of the Inn have enchanted those who have discovered it and the Lucerne area. The land that The Lucerne Inn was built on was granted to John Phillips for fighting in the Revolutionary War.
In 1814 the Lake House became a Half Way House, the only stop between Ellsworth and Bangor, offering food, drink, and lodging. This set the roots for the eventual establishment of The Lucerne Inn. Political leaders, national statesman, as well as many, many travelers have enjoyed the scenic views and hospitality that the Inn has to offer.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Inn is now a legendary and thriving business. The Lucerne Inn is the original structure from the early 1800s, with all its Colonial architecture and beauty, combined with modern amenities, overlooking one of the most beautiful settings in Maine.